Reflection Question: Share your most memorable takeaway from the Humphrey Seminar’s guest lecturers.
Dan Gillmor gave us a wonderful lecture. “Failure is never an end of a situation. Failure is learning. Never be afraid of failure because it is a way to learn, to gain experience. Failing is the basis to success. ” Issa Napon
The best seminar was where Peter Haden explained the situation of veterans here in the United States, which proved an eye-opening discussion. Javaria Tareen
Dan Gillmor, founding director of the Knight Center for Digital Media Entrepreneurship at ASU, gave a lecture on Failure in the Context of Journalism and Media. I had eight takeaways:
- Seek to work with people who are better than you and who know different things. Don’t be afraid of being the stupid person in the room.
- Always keep wondering what’s next.
- The value in failure is learning.
- Ownership is a key concept: Own the process. Own what happens. Own the outcome.
- If you are going to fail, do it quickly and move on.
- Failure is stumbling and getting back up again.
- Life is in beta.
- Always make new mistakes. Rhonda Jaipaul-O’Garro